Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: <TAP> <Tap> <tap> Is this thing on?

Chats: 0

By the way though, just because Aslan and I aren't around much these days, don't let it stop you guys from posting. This isn't "Phonetek & Aslan boards", it's bowling boards and everyone here bowls, I'm sure you can think of something to talk about. Don't make it "boring boards" because we're not here. 😜 I'm sure he'll pop in as well I when I have time.

High Roller

Posted my scores but pretty embarrassed by them....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Hello Phoney, I don't check in very often, but still bowling. Have been taking some pads to my equipment and finding that going to 3000 or 4000 grit things have improved reaction now at least for the mid lane. The miss room I have on my Hy-Road is better especially on both the left and the right. I had tried this before several years ago and didn't see as much difference as I have now. Tried to simulate what Storm calls their 4K-Fast surface and then took the 3000 grit pad to it afterwards. On medium to dry lanes it's working pretty well... Hope you have a great summer...

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    By the way though, just because Aslan and I aren't around much these days, don't let it stop you guys from posting. This isn't "Phonetek & Aslan boards", it's bowling boards and everyone here bowls, I'm sure you can think of something to talk about. Don't make it "boring boards" because we're not here. 😜 I'm sure he'll pop in as well I when I have time.
    It IS kind've amazing...and worrisome...to see how BBoards activity has dropped off so significantly.

I mean, in the "hay days" of this forum, you could barely keep up with all the posts. There were "debates"...the mods were busy with their spam patrol in addition to trying to keep everyone happy and making sure folks are being respectful and civil.

What I WILL say...is...I don't think this has anything to do with me or my opinions/posts. And, I know a lot of folks read that and say, "Why would it?" Well, back in the "hay days", a small segment of the forum left for other forums and blamed it on Iceman, me, and MikeW and our "strong opinions" and claimed that we dominated the forums. And I totally get that. But, MikeW got booted years ago...a little unfairly in my opinion...but whatever. With Mike W gone, it opened the door for Rob M to participate more...which I think is great. Then Iceman left...mainly because people were throwing shade about his belief in vitamins, herbs, and supplements that was a little "out there". It stunk to see him go, but it happens. Unfortunately, with the major players gone...it was really just me posting and very little responses.

Other folks sort of filled in the voids...like Phonetek...but we just never got that activity level back to where it was.

Now, 2 points:

1) If I honestly felt that leaving the site would bring multiple people into the site to participate...it wouldn't even be a difficult decision. I'd definitely leave if I felt it would increase participation. But, I don't think that would help at this stage. I've "calmed down" quite a bit and it hasn't increased participation.

2) I, UNFORTUNATELY, think this is just the end result of the decline in the sport. The "old timers" are dying off. I don't even know if Bowl1820, Iceman, RobM, or MikeW are even still alive. I hope so...but given the number of health issues I deal with most league nights...those guys are all older than me. Just sayin.

It's too bad. This has been a great forum and relatively calm, normal, non-confrontational, etc... It would be interesting to hear ideas for improvement. Like, "what would attract bowlers to the forum to participate?" Unfortunately, I don't think bowlingball.com is getting enough business from the forum to justify more investment in the forums. To bring in pro bowlers as moderators and/or to create a coaching section where people can upload videos and get free feedback from actual experts...maybe even have expert moderators that post daily or weekly tips/topics. Sort of tying bowlversity in with the forums, etc...

But, yeah, the sport in general has changed so, so much in the last 40 years. A lot of the younger folks have moved from forums to TikTok/Instagram/Youtube, etc... Older bowlers are dying off or getting so injured that they just can't bowl anymore. The herd is just thinning out.
    In Bag: (: .) 900 Global Zen Master; (: .) Brunswick Perfect Mindset; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 196; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 185

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Aslan, I don’t have any answers. I will say that the sport is not dying. Our local youth program’s numbers have gone back up to pre COVID levels and our local association has started a new youth program in a second bowling center.

As for Bowlingboards, I think we’re just seeing the change in what’s popular on the internet. I suspect that all forums are down in terms of site traffic. The younger demographic is probably asking the kinds of question that used to occur here on some other form of social media.
    John

High Roller

I think it's just other avenues. I joined a couple of bowling discord channels but haven't been on them for months. Being summer definitely hurts site participation but yeah even before summer there were only 4 or 5 of us posting regularly. As for Phoney...who knows. I have his cell # if its still the same. Maybe i'll shoot him a text and see what he's up to. to be totally honest i kind of quit posting here and went to the Discords cause of the way some were 'talked to' here. Seemed every question was answered by saying 'get a coach'. While that might work for some we have 1 coach within 2 hours of here and i did get lessons from him and my average dropped about 15-20 pins. I did get some good answers to some questions and feel overall I gained some knowledge from those here i just would have liked to see more friendly chat here and alot of it seemed to be adversarial. not gonna name names and no grudges cause that person did help me out overall but the delivery sucked...lol.
    BTW-the discords were no better...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I suspect that all forums are down in terms of site traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    BTW-the discords were no better...lol
    Pretty much.

I used to go on a weight loss forum every day...just more of a chat room...and that forum no longer exists. They folded it up back, shortly after I left...probably 2015 or so. In some ways, the internet and bowling side of things are kinda linked. More options online and more options for leisure activities. Tennis, ice hockey, paintball, softball, shooting sports...to some degree even golf. The only sport/activity that seems to have gained momentum is pickelball...and that's largely for the older folks. And, like you guys said, its not unique to this forum.
    In Bag: (: .) 900 Global Zen Master; (: .) Brunswick Perfect Mindset; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 196; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 185

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher

I spend most of my summer shooting sporting clays, so bowling has to take a back seat. Considering I've shot 1700 rounds since league ended, I've been busy. There's a house right down the street from me that does a sport shot tourney every Wednesday, so i may hit that one or two times before league starts. State sporting clays tournament is in 2 weeks, so that has all my attention right now. I moved up a class last year, so I really want to do well this year.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2024/2025 YTD highs--High game-231; high series-650

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

We look forward to hearing how you do. Good luck!
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12