Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare System

Bowling Black Belt
    Currently living in Utah, but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.
    Chats: 0

Anyone using the 3-6-9 system ever have to adjust the system? I find that sometimes, especially on a typical house shot that the pool of oil in the middle can make the adjustments a little bigger (especially when moving your feet right), say to like 4-8-12?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Coach 3G View Post
    Anyone using the 3-6-9 system ever have to adjust the system? I find that sometimes, especially on a typical house shot that the pool of oil in the middle can make the adjustments a little bigger (especially when moving your feet right), say to like 4-8-12?

I used to use the 3-6-9 system, but found that I was having to constantly modify it. My warmup time used to be focused entirely on figuring out my spare system for the match. Which is why now I utilize the technique W R uses. It came about from my own frustration and observations...I have since become very good at throwing a flat ball by "breaking my wrist" so spares don't concern me anymore...
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Coach 3G View Post
    I try to stand on the same marks all the time on my spares (the W.R.Spare method), one less thing to think about there. but I'll make a adjustments depending on how I'm bowling that night, for my marks. Say I got a case of the tugs, I'll adjust my marks some to compensate. But not really because conditions once I'm set.

I'm assuming your righthanded, so I'm guessing you swing the ball some trying to hook into the pins (or throwing a really fast ball), it hits the oil and was missing to the right, so you moved right to compensate.(4-8-12 which would move you farther right, than the 3-6-9 would)

Most spare systems are based on throwing a straight or small arcing shot. Which will take the lane conditions out of the equation more. So you wouldn't have to make a big adjustment for the oil on spares.

Though that's not to say a individual bowler shouldn't make a adjustment for their personal style, like lay down point etc.

But if someone is having to make big or a lot of adjustments to compensate for the lane conditions on spares. Then they may be trying too much to hook/swing the ball into the pins.

About the only time you might want to "hook" a ball into a spare is on multi-pin leaves, but most times a straight or slightly arcing ball will do.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-18-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I got frustrated using different systems similar to WRW or the 3-6-9 I always had issues consistency-wise.
    I experimented with aiming for the pins or around boards down at 40-43 feet, whadayasay, i found out I was more consistent in sparing than aiming near the foul line.
    I also realized that I had a dominant eye but not sure which one because all my shots are always on the right of the target about 3 boards so I just have to adjust accordingly.
    Now, I don't have to bother much with which board I should stand except when the spares are 7 or 10 pin.
    Aiming for the far boards have become my strike shot routine now as well, after a shot, I just take note if the ball was thrown from near my ankle, where my left foot stands, if the ball has a nudge on the heads or smoot, if the ball hits my break point or the board I'm targeting down the lane. When there are no markers down the lane, I just use the pins as targets all the time.

Try it out it might help some of you, I never felt so much better in bowling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12